- Namitha Thomas
- Professor Ajesh George
- Professor Kath Peters
- Dr Kate O'Reilly
- Dr Mariana Souza
The project explores the significant oral health challenges faced by women in menopause, which adversely impact their quality of life. Research indicates that women in this phase encounter issues like burning sensation of mouth, dryness, and taste alterations, yet oral health is not prioritized among this demographic. There is a lack of information specifically pertaining to the experiences of women during perimenopause and menopause concerning oral health, and the role of healthcare providers in promoting oral health during this period.
Aims & Objectives
The key aims and objectives of this study include:
- To review current national and international literature regarding the knowledge, attitudes, and practices of oral health care among women in perimenopause/menopause and their health care providers (Phase 1).
- To confirm the knowledge, attitudes, and practices of women in perimenopause/menopause in Australia towards oral health and to identify barriers and facilitators in this area (Phase 2).
- To explore the perceptions of women in perimenopause/menopause towards oral health and to gain in depth information about their acceptability and feasibility of healthcare providers promoting oral health (Phase 3a).
- To explore the perceptions, knowledge and practices of healthcare providers in Australia towards oral health care among women in perimenopause/menopause and their perceived barriers and facilitators in this area. (Phase 3b).
- To incorporate study findings to inform new intervention strategies to promote oral health of women in perimenopause/menopause.
Be Part of Our Study
Women Experiencing Menopause or Approaching (Perimenopause)
If you are interested in participating in a survey for the study, please click here to view the project flyer.
If you are interested in participating in an interview for the study, please click here to view the project flyer.
General Practitioners or Practice Nurses
If you are interested in participating in our study, please click here to view the project flyer.
Alignment with ACIOH’s themes
Health Care Providers
This study aims to promote oral health to health care providers.
Women Experiencing Perimenopause and Menopause
By developing and implementing appropriate oral health promotion strategies, women experiencing menopause/perimenopause are better supported and educated to receive oral health care.